Rc.No. 5661/APSS/GCDO/2021. 16/10/2021
Sub: APSS, Amaravati - "GCDO Activities - Organize of Global Hand washing Day" on 15 October 2021 - instructions issued - Reg
Read: HFO/WASH/AP/2021/155, dated; -28.09.2021, Mail received from Chief of Field Office, UNICEF Field Office, Hyd, Dt: 01.10.2021.
All the District Educational officers and Additional Project Coordinators in the stat are informed that, every year on October 15, global hand washing Day (GHD) observed to highlight the importance of hand washing with water and soap (HWWS) at home, in the community and around the world to increase awareness and knowledge of the benefits of hand washing with soap. On this GHD 15th October 2021, UNICEF requested the Samagra Shiksha, AP to organize a 15 day hand wash campaign in districts. Since 2020, the COVID-19 Pandemic has impacted the lives of billions across the world affecting health, livelihoods and other aspects of life. The Pandemic is not close to over and needs effective action to mitigate its spread. As children and adults are being affected equally, prevention remains the key option to save lives. HWWS is regarded as the most inexpensive option to save and protect children and individual lives from contracting the disease and curb transmission to other people. In addition, HWWS also reduces disease burden from diarrhoea, acute respiratory infections, transmission of outbreak- related pathogens such as Cholera, Shigellosis, Severe acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Hepatitis- E and COVID -19 infection by 36%.
Further it is informed that the theme for 2021's GHD is, "Our Future is at Hand- Let's Move Forward Together" which showcase a potential to bring about an international focus on hand hygiene as a fundamental component of public health and safety. As per the national Sample Survey Office (NSSO) 2018-19, around 44% Households (HH) in Andhra Pradesh wash hands with soap after defecation and 26% HHs in Andhra Pradesh wash hands with soap before meals. While Pandemic has increased hand washing practices, given its importance for health in general, it is imperative to sustain these behaviors for a long term and make them part of everyday life.
UNICEF propose the below actions/steps as part of hand washing with soap campaign
- Under take at least a two- week long hand washing with soap campaign (from 18th to 23rd October, 2021) to reach out all the communities especially vulnerable and marginalized communities.
- Activate District SBM (G) functionaries to Spread GHD messages at district, Mandal and GP levels. • Activate Women's SHGS for GHD Messaging.
- Organize ground level activities (wall painting, Competitions (paintings, essay writings, slogans writing for children etc.) in collaboration with GPS and Schools.
- Activate local media channels (TV/radio) for GHD messaging. Engage with Community Radio Stations to disseminate messaging on GHD 2021.
- Activate frontline workers and institutions under various departments (WCD, Tribal, Education, Health) to spread key GHD 2021 messaging.
- Integrate hand hygiene in all district training programmes and workshops for longer term messaging and sustainability
Therefore, all the District Educational Officers & Ex-Officio Project Coordinators and the Additional Project Coordinators of the Samagra Shiksha in the state are requested to give necessary instructions to the school Head Masters to organize Hand Campaigns with soap from 18th to 23rd October, 2021 in respective of schools.
The Additional Project Coordinators are further requested to instruct the GCDOS to upload the photos, videos, competitions, total number of students and teachers participated in the above program to mail id: firstname.lastname@example.org.