Circular Memo. No. 42/Protocol.B 1 2018-1 Dated.l9,01.2018.
Sub: OBSERVANCE OF SILENCE on 301h January, 2018 in memory of those who gave their lives in the struggle for India's Freedom - Reg.
Ref: From the Government of India, Ministry of Home Affairs, New Delhi, No. 2/1212017-Public, dated: 04012018, received on 18.012018.
It is to inform that the 30" January, every year, two minutes silence is observed at 11.00 A.M. throughout the country, in the memory of those who gave their lives in the struggle of India's freedom. The following Standing instructions have been laid down for observance of the day:
1. Silence should be observed and work and movement stopped for two minutes through the country at 11.00 A.M. on 30" January, every year.
2. Wherever available, the commencement and termination of the two minutes' silence period should be indicated by sound of siren or Army guns. Sirens should be sounded from 10,59 hrs till 11.00 hrs and after two minutes, all clear sirens should again be sounded from 1.02 hours till 11.03
hours. This procedure may be adopted where sirens exist.
3. On hearing the signal (wherever available), all persons would stand up and observe the silence. It would be more effective if people could gather at one place for observing the silence instead of each person standing in his room or at any other place. However, effort need not be made to assemble
at one place if it involves serious dislocation of work.
4. At places where no signal system is available, suitable instructions can be passed on to all concerned for observing the silence for two minutes at 11.00 A.M.
2. It is further informed that in the past, it has been observed that while two minutes' silence is observed in some offices, the general public goes about its occupation in the ordinary course, unmindful of the solemnity of the occasion. The Departments/Organisations noted in the address entry are requested to take necessary steps to ensure t4hat the Martyrs'Day is observed with due solemnity and with better public participation. For this, they are requested to ensure the following:
(i) Instructions be issued to all educational institutions in the State and Public Sector Enterprises under their control for observance of the Martyrs'Day with full solemnity and in a befitting manner. Speeches and talks connected with the significance of the day, particularly mentioning the role of freedom fighters in the freedom of India may be made. The themes of talks and speeches could also deal with the duty and the moral obligation of every citizen to preserve, protect and enrich the hard-earned freedom and to promote a sense of national integration and commitment to common goals
(ii) Field publicity units of the Departments are requested to hold programmes and/or films/documentaries with the basic themes of Indian Freedom Movement, the role of the martyrs in the Freedom Struggle and national integration.
(iii) Various chambers of Commerce and Industry in the State may also he requested to ensure proper observance of the Martyrs' Day by their members and affiliated associations and organisations.
Download proceedings copy
Download proceedings copy