The schools, especially under private managements are running school busses/vehicles for transporting school children. Several incidences of mishaps to school buses in various partS of the State confirm that the buses are not maintained up to the required extent by the school management. Moreover, there have also been instances of appointment of untrained drivers, to man school buses, reckless driving causing grievous injuries to children, etc.
All the Regional Joint Directors of SChool Education and the District Educational Officers in the State are, therefore, instructed to take up a special drive to check the school buses and see the following preventive measures are followed properly for the safety of the school children:
• The school buses/vehicles shall be properly maintained, should be rood worthy and should posses the relevant certificate of fitness.
• Appropriate provision is being made on lhe Commissioner School Education web portal and instructions will be issued separately. The fitness certificate should be obtained from the concerned Management for every bus they are operating and the same should be uploaded in the web ponal of the Commissioner School Education.
• Every vehicle, bus, van or such other means of transport, carrying school children shall hold a proper permit/permission from the RTA.
• The vehicle should be manned by trained, experienced and well versed driver. The bus driver engaged should have needed driving experience,
• The vehicle/bus driver should not have been challaned more than 5 times for traffic violation like jumping red light, improper parking, violating stop line, unauthorized lane changing. overtaking etc. and ought not to have been challaned for an offence under any section of Traffic/RTA rules during the period of requisite experience of 5 Years.
• All School vehicles/buses transporting school students shall have an attendant. The attendant should be adequately trained to handle young children.
• All schools shall ensure that the vehicles/busses drop all the children are dropped inside the boundary wall of the school..
• All the vehicles/busses transporting of school children shall carry First-Aid-Box and Fire ExtingUisher as required under the rules.
• No vehicle/bus transporting of school children shall carry the children in excess of its permitted capacity.
• The educational institution shall control and man the traffic through own manpower in and around the school premises and especially near unmanned railway crossings.
In addition to the compliance, the following points must also be enllured by the administrative authority of the schools:
• Name, home address with telephone number of driver must be made available for DEOs record.
• Schoo! bus (vehicle should be inspected by school authority from time to time and its condition should be got certified by the competent authority.
• In case of any lapse/guilt by driver for not following the rules the matter should be reported to police by school authorities. Otherwise the recognition of the school should be cancelled immediately.
• A transport committee should be formed with parents of the children at every school level for deciding the transport fees, rout of the bus, bus stops and to check if the school vehicles(buses have the required documents like registration papers, fitness certificates, insurance papers, transport permit, driving license of the concerned school bus driver, fire extinguisher and first aid box in the bus.Download Guidelines