School Education Department – Converting all Government, MPP Schools and Zilla Parishad schools and all classes into English Medium from classes I to VIII from the academic year 2020-21 and for classes IX & X from the academic year 2021-22 - Orders - Issued.
SCHOOL EDUCATION (PROG.I) DEPARTMENT
G.O.Ms.No. 81 Dt: 05/11/2019
Read the following:-
1. G.O.Ms.No.76 Education (SE.TRG) Department dt. 10.06.2008.
2. G.O.Rt.No.30 Education (Prog.II) Dept, dt. 20.01.2010
3. Govt Memo No. 434390/Prog.I/2017 dt. 16.11.2017.
4. G.O.Rt.No.78 Education (Prog.I) Dept, dt. 05.10.2017
5. From the Commissioner of School Education, AP., Lr.Rc.No.162/A&I/2014, dt:12.10.2019
In the reference 1st read above, Government have issued orders for introducing English Medium with CBSE Syllabus in a Parallel Section from VI class in 6500 identified High Schools in the Government Sector (Govt/ZP/Municipal) in the State that are also proposed for strengthening under the Success Project.
In the reference 2nd read above, Government have issued orders for replacing CBSE syllabus with State Syllabus in all 6500 Success Schools from the academic year 2010-11.
In the reference 3rd read above, Government have delegated powers to the Commissioner of School Education, A.P. to open parallel English Medium sections in the existing high schools for classes VI to X.
In the reference 4th read above, Government have accorded permission to the Commissioner of School Education for opening of English Medium Parallel sections in Primary Schools from the Academic Year 2018-19.
The Commissioner of School Education has submitted a proposal for converting all Government, MPP Schools and Zilla Parishad schools and all classes into English Medium from Grades I to VIII from academic year 2020-21 and for Grades IX & X from academic year 2021-22.
After careful examination of the matter, Government hereby accord permission to the Commissioner of School Education to convert all Government, MPP Schools and Zilla Parishad schools and all classes into English Medium from classes I to VIII from the academic year 2020-21 and for classes IX & X from academic year 2021-22 in superseding the earlier orders issued in the matter.
However, the Commissioner of School Education shall take appropriate and adequate efforts to implement Telugu/Urdu as compulsory subject depending on the current medium of instruction in all the Schools compulsorily in line with the Government orders in the matter.
The Commissioner of School Education shall ensure the following steps for successful implementation of English medium schools:-
- Required teachers should be deployed in the School as per the staffing pattern prescribed by the Government from time to time and as per pupil teacher ratio for single medium.
- SCERT shall take necessary action for designing and development of Teacher Hand Books, Training of Teachers in English medium teaching skills and knowledge, Compendium of best classroom practices and other pedagogical material for supporting the teachers to be skilled in English Medium teaching.
- Director SCERT in coordination with Commissioner of School Education shall take comprehensive action for online assessment of the current English proficiency levels of the Teachers, design appropriate training programs for enchasing the English Medium teaching skills for the teachers.
- Intensive and extensive trainings must be ensured during the current academic year and during the Summer of 2020 for equipping the Teachers to teach in English Medium from academic Year 2020-21 for classes I to VIII. Number of trainings shall be given to the Teachers until improving their English Medium Teaching skills in specific subjects and in general.
- Action shall be taken for reviving the English Language Teaching Centers & District English Centers (DECs) and re-locating them in District Institutes for Education & Training (DIETs).
- Director, Text Book Press, should take action to obtain correct indents and ensure supply of English Medium Text Books to the Schools as per student enrolment for classes I to VIII well before the starting of the academic year.
- Keeping in view of the conversion of all schools and classes from I to VIII into English Medium, requirement of Teachers can be arrived at and proposals should be submitted to Government by the Commissioner School Education.
- In future, Teacher recruitments, qualified candidates with the best proficiency in English Medium teaching should be recruited.
The Commissioner of School Education, the State Project Director, SSA, the Director, SCERT, and the Director, AP Text Book Press shall take further necessary action accordingly.